Safe Urban Driver & Van SmartCourse Overview
Gain first-hand experience as a Vulnerable Road User (VRU) through on-cycle hazard awareness and
The objectives of the Safe Urban Driver & Van Smart courses is to understand;
1. State the rules regarding driver
2. List the guidelines regarding fitness to drive.
3. Specify the law relating to drivers’ hours and breaks.
4. Explain how to ensure that their vehicle is roadworthy.
5. Describe safe loading procedures and what makes a
6. Explain why journey planning is important and how to plan a journey effectively.
7. Identify the importance of observing the safety rules for van drivers.
8. State the speed limits on different types of roads.
9. Explain why some other road users feel vulnerable and what would make them feel safer.
10. Identify the characteristics of a professional driver.
11. Explain how defensive driving would help them to identify and avoid hazards.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
1. Appreciate how and why city roads are changing to accommodate active travel, such as walking and cycling.
2. Identify the most vulnerable road users (VRU’s) and how they interact with traffic.
3. Share the roads safely with others by applying defensive driving techniques.
4. Know the use and limitations of supplementary vehicle safety equipment and how to maintain its effectiveness.
The objectives of the Inclement weather module are for drivers to understand;
1. Cyclists as road users.
2. What makes cyclists vulnerable.
3. The law relating to cyclists as road users.
4. The different types of cyclists using the roads.
5. What is Bikeability and what does it cover?
6. What basic cycle use training covers at Level one.
7.What advanced cycle use training covers at level two.
8. What Advanced cycle training covers at Level 3.
9. How professional drivers can help keep cyclists safe.
10. Encountering both single and groups of cyclists on the roads.
11. How professional drivers can enhance the positive impact of cycling in the future.
12. How professional drivers can set an example to other drivers by driving responsibly.